Lots of people don’t believe in Valentines day and the way it has become so commercial, but I think if there is an excuse to tell someone you love them… why not take it!?
So, just ditch the commercial bit and make something for your man this valentines. Handmade gifts are so thoughtful and he will love it… and look great in it too!
WHAT YOU NEED…
Fabric – if you use a thicker fabric your bow tie will be more plump! I have used a blue/grey linen for this example and I am really pleased with the results.
I got my linen from Fabworks in Dewsbury and the floral above from B&M Fabrics in Leeds Market.
Cut pieces of fabric:
1 x Bow Tie: 12.5cm x 37.5cm
1 x Knot: 9cm x 7.5cm
2 x Band = 54cm x 4cm (Cut this piece to a point at one end)
1. With right sides together fold the Bow Tie piece in half length ways and press.
Stitch with a 1cm seam allowance around the cut edges, leaving a gap to turn through. Repeat with the knot piece.
2. Clip your corners and turn through the gap to the right side showing. Hand stitch the gap with a slip stitch. Repeat on the knot piece.
3. Fold in half width ways and measure 6cm from the non-folded end. Then stitch together at 6cm.
4. Open out the ends to bring the line of stitching to the centre…
5. Lay flat and ‘stitch in the ditch’ to fasten in this position…
6. Pinch the bow tie to make a pleat in the middle.
7. Wrap the knot around the bow tie and hand stitch to secure.
8. To make the band… with right sides together stitch the 2 band pieces together, leaving an opening at the non-pointed end to turn through…
9. Clip the corners, turn through and press. Then hand stitch the open end, closed…
10. Thread the bow-tie onto the band and secure with a hand stitch if needed…
11. Add a popper at the end to fasten…
Tah Dah… You have made a bow tie! Package up in a pretty box and give to your man. I found it easier to leave the popper off until I had given the bow tie to my hubby so I could get the length of the tie fitting perfectly.
Reblogged this on Mrs Jones Vintage and commented:
Love it xx
Pingback: GET CRAFTY: 7 LAST MINUTE DIY VALENTINES GIFTS | LA CANVAS
this is perfect! Thank you so much!!!
Pingback: Festa del papà: 10 regali fai-da-te per dire “Ti voglio bene papà” | blog.casase.it | se ciò che cerchi é sentirti a casa.
Adorable! I’m going to make some for my baby boy. Thank you!
Pingback: DIY Christmas | MrsCynSwan
This is wonderful! Thank you so much! For anyone wondering, the rough measurements in inches are: 5″ x 15″ for the bow piece, 3.5″ x 3″ for the knot piece, and 21″ x 2″ for the band (and don’t forget to cut two. )
Thank you for the conversion. Making my some of my son’s friends ones for graduation. In their school colors.
Pingback: Homemade Valentine’s Day Gifts – Valentine’s Day – ALL YOU | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…
Just made a whole stack of these for a wedding. Thank you!!
Pingback: 25 DIY Gift Ideas For The Men On Your List
Pingback: 10 Handmade Holiday Gifts You’d Actually Want Yourself | Helen's ClosetHelen's Closet
I Love this and wanted to let you know I shared it and linked it on my blog : )
Pingback: 5 Valentine Craft You Can Start Today - Madebymt
So cool , i very love it . Looking forward to your visit when you have time , it’s the link of my shop , thanks
Thank you! I’m making some for my son’s best friends for High School graduation…in their college colors
Pingback: 8 DIY Father's Day Gifts Your Dad Will Actually Use - How to do everything!
Thank you for your tutorial, I loved doing it.
Some pictures? It’s here:
So pleased you enjoyed it… it’s so simple but so effective x
Perfect thanks !!! Just made it. I’ll put scratch bands to fasten it, it will be better for him to change the size whenever he wants !!